Monday, June 30, 2008

宅男多到1吓死你



Disclaimer: Geek alert!

This is the first time I have attended such a convention / exhibition. According to a friend, this is the first time something like that had been organized. It was also the first time i attempted to comb my hair the other way. Wah, so many firsts (yah right). Obviously, a Toy and Comic Convention is all about toys and comics. ah but theres something more.

A walk down memory aisle. Ok, its more like a walk in a room full of overweight chimpanzees as you attempt to slither through the crowd with a bagload of equipments. Suddenly you realize the extra burger you chomped down before Spain vs Russia at an unearthly hour has returned to haunt you around the waist.

But I digress. all of a sudden, my childhood memories just came crashing back into me like a harebrained ... errr ... no not hare, but like the dotty mynah that hit my window headlong last week. I saw Mario prancing around, hitting the rock- hard blocks with his head in the Supermario gamebooks I used to wolf down. I witnessed how 老夫子 hit on 陈小姐 to marry him in the comic strips while waiting for the friendly, neighbourhood Indian barber to style/ pulverize my hair (depends on how you see it). I remembered feeling so down when I realized that Superman was dead and cursed afterwards when I knew he was going to return as four separate identities to cheat a primary 6 kid of his pocket money. And the trashy mangas, and the ugly as hell sketches of anime characters, and the old movie posters of black and white movies.

the list just goes on. Gratifying experience indeed.

Apart from the pushy Singaporeans, literally and the queues that go on and on for the free gifts, it was a nice place to spend a few hours on a weekend just to feel the dynamism of the large numbers of kids/teenagers.

Just dont be caught laughing at other people's horrible costumes lest their parents might be nearby, listening to your comments and feeling 痛心. How I wish I could have a mask like the contestants to cover my face then.

Your favorite editor, (since the other has pulled out)
Ben

No comments: