Saturday, June 21, 2008

Art beyond my understanding?


As a self proclaimed fan of the arts scene (who has yet to attend any related events ever), I trotted down to Drama Center at National Library with a fellow newbie for the premiere of 'Temple', a production by Cake Theatrical Productions. Helmed by Natalie Hennedige, it is a story of seven individuals seeking santuary within a so called temple, away from a world amassed with destruction and terror. Behind the doors, allegiance and relationships are forgotten as they deal with prospective evil seeping through the seven doors which gradually poisons each of the characters when the door is found to be open one day. Following that, the sanctity of the Temple is ruined when murder, corruption and unbridled evil manifests through the actions of the individuals.

Sad to say, as an interested newbie, this was a production which I truly could not appreciate. Brought up by a staple of corny hk dramas and hollywood films, Temple performed at another level of art, beyond what I could appreciate. By the first hour, I had no idea what was going on and what the dialogue represented. Ditto my partner. I had the urge to walk out of the theatre, but nevertheless stayed on in the hope that I would eventually be enlightened by what was on display. One example stood in mind: a video montage was shown with several characters participating in a race at the National Stadium while one of the character was singing a song. Frankly, I had absolutely no idea what that signified. I guess it is a long way before i could proclaim myself a supporter of the local arts scene.

Nevertheless, there were several instances which brought laughter, the cast was wonderful, the dramatic moments that popped up, the Malay and Mandarin speaking characters and especially when the applauses came with the end of the show. With all due respect, I speak from a perspective of the uninitiated who happened to take interest in the premise of the production but simply could not appreciate the performance on display. Simply said, for the uncouth and uncultured like me, this production is not suitable for you.

Boy was I in for a surprise.

In fact, as I recall, the best part of the evening came when I visited Ya Kun after the show where I sank my teeth into the toast, guzzled down my coffee and was almost chased out of the store as they were closing for the night. To quote my confidant for the night, "以后你请我去,我也不会去". (correct me if I am wrong) I felt the same too. No great loss.

And that just summed up my maiden experience in the Singapore Arts Festival 2008.

(以上言论不代表本台立场)

PS: read below for an entry by our guest writer on his brief encounter with a local artiste

No comments: