Sunday, May 25, 2008

天灾无情,人间有情


the next time you spend your money on a pack of cigarettes; taking a cab home when you could take a public bus or spend lavishly on wants than needs, think of the victims of the Sichuan earthquake and Cyclone Nargis. I myself is guilty of that, failing to recognize how blessed i am born in this part of the world and fortunate to live in such a comfortable manner.

Over the past few days, I caught a number of documentaries featuring the Sichuan victims. Though most stories are that of death and loss, there were many remarkable stories of the victims trying their best to stay alive. One woman swallowed a ring on her finger so as to force rescuers to save other people in need; another man managed to survive for 73 hours under tons of debris before succumbing barely minutes after he was saved. I am not made of stone. Within a span of a few days, I teared twice, failing to control the overwhelming grief that I feel for the victims of this unfortunate disaster. It is a great loss to China and the rest of the world. I cannot understand why despite such tragedy, people continue to associate this disaster as punishment for Beijing's policy towards Tibet. Rather, we should not associate the earthquake with politics. Look at the people who perished, with their homes lost. Put yourself in their shoes, what would you do if you lost your loved ones overnight, homes destroyed and future becoming bleak.

Rest in peace, my fellow Chinese. You will stay forever in our hearts.

No comments: